Sunday 27 April 2014

Yes, I am a hero!















ISLAMABAD: Former president General (retd) Pervez Musharraf in his statement in the Special Court on March 31 last said he was grateful to the court for giving him the opportunity to address it as he held this court in the highest esteem and was a strong believer in the supremacy of the law.

He said, “I also believe, with total conviction, that all individuals, high or low, are equal in the eyes of the law. All aspersions against me that I am opposed to appearing in the courts are baseless and malicious. For the information of this court, I have already appeared in courts in Karachi, Rawalpindi and Islamabad about 15 times in the last one year since my arrival in Pakistan. I have no such ego problems”.

He elaborated three reasons that had been hindering his appearance in the court.

They are:-

a. Security. The security threat is real. My concern is more the security of the people around me, those protecting me than myself. This has been as a result of my years of association with the Special Service Group which has taught me to care for the lives of my men foremost.

b. My Health. The Armed Forces Institute of Cardiology (AFIC) report is lucid and self explanatory. I do not have anything to add to it. All that I would, however, like to add for the information of the court is that my last attendance in this court on February 18 and even today is against medical advice. I had to render a signed certificate over ruling medical restraint at my own risk.

c. Legal Issues. I am sure that the court understands these issues better than me so I would not like to elaborate on them.

He said “Let me now come to the main issue. I am being charged under Article 6 for treason or more graphically for being “Ghadaar”. In other words I have done “Ghadaari” with Pakistan and the people of Pakistan.”

a. “I, who has commanded the Pakistan Army for 9 years, served in it for 43 years and gave my entire youth to this Army. Yet I am being called a Ghadaar”.

b. “I, who has fought two wars for this country and was prepared to shed my blood and life for upholding its honour yet I am being called a Ghadaar”.

c. “I, who was given a gallantry award for bravery in the face of enemy and who has spent days and nights in the mountains and snows of Siachen and Kargil with the troops even admired by Indian Generals. Yet, I am being called a ghadaar”.

d. ”I, who raised the country from a failed status to one of the next 11 (N 11) countries of the world, developed the country in every socio economic facet, gave pride and raised the standard of living of the people and also raised the stature of the country internationally am being called a ghadaar.

I do think now: Is this the return I get for showing love and unflinching loyalty to Pakistan?

If this not be the case then who really is a ghadaar?

a. Ghadaar is one who sells country’s secrets to the enemy.

b. Ghadaar is he who lays down arms or capitulates in front of the enemy. Having served in the Special Service Group for ten years and owned its motto “Ghazi Ya Shaheed” I would prefer death before the dishonor of surrender.

c. “The real ghadaar is also the one who loots and plunders national coffers to build his personal wealth, sucks the blood of the nation, gives joblessness, poverty and miseries to the people and takes Pakistan into a state of deprivation.

As far as I m concerned I can swear by the Almighty Allah and also in the name of my old mother and children and even one paisa of this state and the nation has been and is Haram for me. I would however, like to ask all those who governed this country from 2008 to date:-

a. In 2008 we left $17 billion in our foreign exchange reserve out of which $13 billion were State Bank reserves while today we have only $3 billion of State Bank.

b. In 2008 our foreign debt had been brought down to $37 billion while today its stands at over $70 billion – an increase of about $35 billion.

Where has this $45 billion gone in the last six years? This is the scale of the loot and plunder of the national exchequer. Yet all those who were and are sitting in the assemblies and running government are “Sadiq and Amin” except one person that is me. Where has Adl and Insaaf gone in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan?

I have done everything for Pakistan and not taken anything from it.

a. Filled its coffers. Left foreign exchange reserve of $17 billion.

b. Brought down its debt from $40 billion to $37 billion in 2008 for the first time in the history of the country. In the decade before us debt was rising at $2 billion a year. Had we not turned the economy around our debt would have been $60 billion in 2008.

c. Broke away from the shackles of IMF, breaking the begging bowl culture.

d. Maintained the $ at around Rs60.

e. Gave rapid and phenomenal progress to the country in each and every socio economic element whether it be communication infrastructure, dams, canals, energy, agriculture, industry, telecom or IT.

f. We substantially enhanced the welfare and well being of the people bringing about unprecedented improvement in their poverty, employment generation, education and health facilities.

g. Kept inflation under control keeping prices of essential items well within reach of the common man.

h. Strengthened the defense of the country. All projects like Al-Khalid tank, JF 17 fighter planes, AWAC surveillance systems, Augusta submarine and modern frigates are all our proud achievements. So much so that even the nuclear and missile development, their security arrangement, their custodial control system were perfected by us.

It is my open challenge that the socio economic development of Pakistan in our 8 years would far surpass any other period in the history of Pakistan. As far as Balochistan is concern I again challenge that the all round development and progress in our 8 years would weigh heavier than the development in the entire remaining 50 years of Pakistan.

Inspite of all this I am being tried for Ghadaari. My sin is that I gave strength and development to Pakistan and welfare, pride and well being to its masses.

My lordship there is one more identification of a real Ghadaar. One who hinders, creates obstacles in the way of the socio economic growth of the country is also a Ghadaar. This exactly was the situation that we faced in 2007.

Lastly, my Lordship the 3 November 2007 action was based on the prime minister and cabinet’s advice and after consultation/consensus of all stake holders as given in the Promulgation Order. There was no abrogation or subversion of the Constitution.

I would like to thank the court and also the prosecution for the very patient hearing, He concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment