Tuesday 1 July 2014

Dr Arsalan announces open global tender for Reko Diq



 












DUBAI: The son of the ex-chief justice of Pakistan, now at the centre of a huge controversy over his appointment, says the multi-billion dollar Reko Diq gold mines will be awarded through an open global tender to the highest bidder.
Dr Arsalan Iftikhar Chaudhry, now vice chairman of the Balochistan Board of Investment, told me in a telephone talk that his father came to know about his new job through the media but then asked him to serve the people with full responsibility.

He dismissed the conspiracy theories about his appointment to sell multi-billion dollars gold mine Reko Diq through a backdoor deal as rubbish.“I would ensure that Reko Diq was given through an international tender, with maximum transparency, to ensure the rights of the Balochistan people,” he stated categorically several times during the talk.

PTI leader Imran Khan had stated at a huge rally in Bahawalpur that Arsalan was appointed VC of the BOI to repay ex-chief justice Iftikhar M Chaudhry for his complicity in rigging the 2013 elections in favour of Nawaz Sharif.

In an upbeat mood and dismissing his critics as just politicians playing politics, Arsalan emphasised repeatedly that neither Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, nor his sons or anyone in the federal government had any role in his appointment.

“I am a Baloch and now my fourth generation lives in this province. I have a right to serve it. The federal government has nothing to do with my appointment. The CM has said on the floor of the house that it was his personal decision. He is an honourable, clean and a nationalist person. He wanted to bring a team which could do something and deliver for the province.”

Arsalan revealed that he had in the past two years brought investments of millions of dollars into Balochistan. “Since 2007, I have been doing my independent business and I am an entrepreneur, everything is my own, my business, social life, everything is my own thing. I have contacts with people in Balochistan from my childhood and we have been living here for four generations now. My father came to know about this through the media. He knew nothing but when he heard it the only thing he told me was that I have a heavy responsibility and I will have to serve the people in any capacity.”

Asked wheter this meant his father had approved of the appointment, he said: “He never interferes in my matters, He never approves or disapproves anything concerning my matters. He has kept it like this. Neither I will interfere in his matters and nor he will do so in my matters.”

Asked about Reko Diq and how would he respond to criticism that he, Dr Malik, Hasil Bizenjo, the PM’s family and some old ousted companies had ganged up to give Reko Diq to them through a deal, Dr Arsalan said: “I laugh at political leaders who say things and make allegations on hearsay. In BOI our work is to channelise things. There are other opportunities and projects in Balochistan. We are there to project it and then put up to the govt, cabinet and provincial assembly. Our job is limited. Whatever project it is, we will ensure transparency and interests of the people of Balochistan. We will not compromise that in any case, come what may. We have been stopping corruption. To expect anything out of the way for anyone would be wrong. Whatever will be in the interest of the people, for their good, we will do. No favourtism will be done.”

Dr Arsalan has already made plans for the road forward. “Our first presentation to the chief minister will be given soon and we will place two core things before the CM. First will be the law and order and security for investors and the second would be complete transparency in projects, including Reko Diq.

“Before starting anything, we will hold external audits, from 2010 to-date. Every year an external audit by international companies will be done. It will be as crystal clear as a glass.”

On Reko Diq, Dr Arsalan is very clear. “It would be an international open tender. That’s how it should be done. The best bid and the option should be accepted. It would be open for all and advertised in international magazines, newspapers. We will see what the people get and the major share comes to the locals”.

“And let me tell you the father I represent, I can assure that with me around nothing like a backdoor deal is possible. The way forward will be given in a presentation within a week or 10 days as everyone was busy in the budget. The way forward will be opened to the public.”

No comments:

Post a Comment