Showing posts with label 19. Show all posts
Showing posts with label 19. Show all posts

Saturday, 28 June 2014

19 terrorists killed as military operation continues in NWA





RAWALPINDI: Nineteen terrorists have been killed as operation ‘Zarb-e-Azb’ launched by the Pakistan military continues in North Waziristan Agency (NWA).

According to the ISPR, PAF jet aircrafts destroyed six confirmed terrorist hideouts on the outskirts of Mir Ali killing eleven terrorists on Friday evening. Terrorist concentrations were also targeted on Saturday morning by Artillery Tanks and heavy weapons outside Miranshah killing seven terrorists.

Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) commander of Miranshah, Umer has also been killed by security forces last night on the outskirts of Miranshah.

ISPR states that after the surrender of 19 terrorists there are reports that more terrorists are ready to lay down their arms. Meanwhile, one prominent Al-Qaeda commander has been arrested while trying to flee and initial investigations shows him as an explosive, IED and suicide belt expert. Three terrorists were arrested by security forces while trying to cross the Indus River near Mir Ali.

An effective cordon is in place around terrorist hideouts in all places in North Waziristan Agency.

The civilian population has been evacuated from North Waziristan and announcements are being made for any stranded tribals who may have stayed back for any reasons, to leave also.

Sunday, 15 June 2014

Robson out for 19 in second England knock




LONDON: Australia-born Sam Robson fell for 19 in the second innings of his England debut in the first Test against Sri Lanka at Lord´s on Sunday.

The opener, on his Middlesex home ground, had been in for over an hour when he was late pushing forward uncertainly to Sri Lanka seamer Shaminda Eranga and was bowled off the inside edge by a delivery that nipped back after he´d left a significant gap between bat and pad.Robson faced 50 balls and struck two fours.

His exit meant Robson´s first Test had seen him score just 20 runs in total after he was caught behind for one off Nuwan Pradeep in England´s first innings 575 for nine declared.

Robson´s dismissal on Sunday left England 51 for two, an overall lead of 173 in the first of a two-match series.

Previously, Eranga also had England captain Alastair Cook caught behind for 28 as he removed both openers in a burst of two wickets for one run in 10 balls.

The 24-year-old Sydney-born Robson, the son of an English mother, was selected for a Test debut after England dropped Michael Carberry following their 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia.

Although there was some controversy regarding his decision to opt for England, Robson said last week when the squad was announced that he felt no conflict of loyalties.

"I grew up in Australia until I left school but moved here when I was 18 and have lived here for my whole adult life really," Robson told BBC Radio. "This is my home; this is where my cricket has taken me.

"I love living in London; I love England, and this is where my life is," he insisted. (AFP)

Sunday, 4 May 2014

19 dead in Iraq as pilgrims, family targeted: officials



SAMARRA: Militants have attacked a bus carrying pilgrims north of Baghdad, killing 11 people, while a family of eight was shot dead south of the capital, Iraqi officials said Sunday.

The bloodshed late Saturday comes during vote counting from the April 30 general election, the first since US troops withdrew in late 2011, and amid a protracted surge in nationwide unrest.

While officials are quick to blame external factors for the violence, analysts and diplomats say widespread anger among minority is also a key cause.

In the deadliest attack, a bombing and shooting targeting the bus of pilgrims killed 11 people and wounded 21, police and a doctor said.

The pilgrims were returning from Samarra north of the capital, when a roadside bomb blast on the outskirts of the town of Balad was followed by gunmen opening fire on the bus.

Also on Saturday evening, police found the bodies of eight family members shot dead inside their home in southeast of Baghdad.

It was unclear why the family had been targeted or who killed them. (AFP)
 

Thursday, 3 April 2014

Release of 19 Taliban will cool tempers, extend ceasefire



 












ISLAMABAD: The release of 19 Taliban prisoners on Thursday and the expected freeing of over 100 similar detainees from the security agencies’ custody in the coming days is the consequence of the government’s decision to help get the talk process succeed.
Now the pressure is on the TTP to release the likes of Dr Ajmal, Shahbaz Taseer and Ali Gillani besides announcing the extension of ceasefire for an indefinite period.The release of 19 Taliban detainees from the government custody would also considerably help in dispelling the impression about any differences between the civilian and military leadership on the issue of dialogue.

Rustom Shah Mohmand, member of the government committee, found this development very positive. He indicated that more such Taliban detainees would be released in the future and the same was the consensus in the official meetings of the committee.

“There was unanimity that those Taliban detainees against whom there was no evidence and no case, should be released,” Rustom Shah Mohmand said, adding that this would not only resume the talk process but would also help bridge the mistrust between the two sides.

He said that the release of prisoners would also add value to the government committee on whose recommendation this step has been taken by the government.Professor Ibrahim of Jamaat-e-Islami, a member of the Taliban committee, appreciated the government’s move and indicated that in a few days time, the ceasefire would be extended. He said that the two committees were likely to meet on Friday following which the TTP would be contacted for an extension of ceasefire and to further the talks process.

The one-month ceasefire announced by the TTP on March 1 has already expired amid the proscribed organisation’s statement that their non-combatant detainees were not released by the government. They also alleged that several of their detainees were extrajudicially killed in official custody during the same period.

In this scenario, some of the Taliban factions on Wednesday showed aggression and talked about ending the ceasefire. Now after the government’s commendable move, such aggression from within the Taliban factions is expected to cool down.

Political Agent of South Waziristan Islam Zeb was quoted by a foreign news agency as saying that the 19 Taliban detainees were released on April 1. “They are innocent tribals who were arrested during different search operations in South Waziristan in the last two to three years,” Zeb was quoted as saying.

Zeb added that all the released prisoners belonged to the Mehsud tribe, a major Pashtun tribe living in South Waziristan, and added that the names of another 100 prisoners on the Taliban’s list were being processed and would be released in the next few days.