Showing posts with label continued. Show all posts
Showing posts with label continued. Show all posts

Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Kayani continued to postpone NWA operation: Gen Athar



 












ISLAMABAD: The former Director General (DG) of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Major General (retd) Athar Abbas, on Monday disclosed that the army was ready to launch a military offensive in North Waziristan three years ago but they were unable to do so because of the-then army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani’s reluctance in this regard.
In an interview with the BBC, Athar said the military leadership gave the go-ahead signal for an operation in North Waziristan in 2010 and preparations for it were made for one year, but it was pulled back at the last minute due to Gen Kayani’s indecisiveness. “It had been decided in principle that preparations for the operation would take place between 2010 and 2011, and that it would be launched in 2011 to rid North Waziristan of extremists once and for all,” Athar said.

When asked whether the reason behind his reluctance to give the final approval for the operation was due to his own weaknesses, Abbas agreed, saying ‘yes’. “He was very reluctant when it came to the North Waziristan operation. Kayani thought the decision to launch the operation would reflect on his personality and people would take it as his personal decision, therefore, he kept delaying the operation.”

Athar further said the delay in launching the military offensive in North Waziristan complicated the situation as the militants had strengthened their positions in the area and also established contact with other militant groups.According to him, the decision to launch the operation was taken afterwards on the basis of intelligence reports and consultation with the military officials posted in the area.

Tuesday, 4 March 2014

All out efforts to be continued for durable peace: Nawaz


imageISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif on Tuesday said that a durable and permanent peace was top priority of the government for which all out efforts would be continued.
The Prime Minister stated this while talking to members of government's negotiating committee which called on him at the Prime Minister House.
The meeting was attended by Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on National Affairs Irfan Siddiqui, Major (Retd) Mohammad Amir, Rustum Shah Mohmand and Rahim Ullah Yusufzai.
Earlier, a meeting of the Government negotiating committee was held. The committee reviewed Taliban's ceasefire announcement and sorrowful acts in Khyber Agency and Islamabad.
The committee termed that continuation of such kinds of incidents would damage the negotiating process for maintaining peace.
Members of the committee later called on the Prime Minister and presented him their proposals for an effective future strategy.