Showing posts with label factions. Show all posts
Showing posts with label factions. Show all posts

Sunday, 13 July 2014

After 36 years, PFUJ factions agree on merger move

ISLAMABAD: The representatives of all the three factions of the Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists have agreed to unite all the groups.

According to a press release, the decision was taken at a meeting of the Reunification Committee held here today. The committee consists of senior journalists IA Rahman, Hussain Naqi, M. Ziauddin, Nasir Zaidi, Khawar Naeem Hashmi and Idrees Bakhtiar. The representatives of the three factions, Afzal Butt, Pervaz Shaukat and Idrees Bakhtiar, signed a memorandum of understanding to unite the three factions. Rana Azeem and Amin Yusuf were also taken on board on phone.

The matter will be taken to the respective Federal Executive Council of the various factions for final approval by August 25. The Reunification Committee will again meet on Aug 30 to announce the final decision and suggest the future strategy of unification.

The meeting was also attended by senior journalists Farooq Faisal Khan, Khursheed Abbasi, Mazhar Abbas, Arshad Ansari, Shafiq Awan and Nisar Abbas, who also contributed their valued suggestion for resolving the disputes.

It is for the first time that after a long period of 36 years, the various factions of PFUJ sat together and resolved to unite the journalist organizations in the interests of working journalists and freedom of the Press.

Wednesday, 2 April 2014

TTP factions divided over ceasefire extension

PESHAWAR: After a series of meetings, the Taliban Shura did not agree to an extension in the one-month-long ceasefire that ended on March 31. However, some of them say they would like to continue the peace talks with the government even if there was no formal ceasefire in place.
On the other hand, a feared militant commander, the head of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) in Mohmand Agency, Omar Khalid Khurasani, said his faction would not extend the ceasefire and also threatened to launch attacks against the government. Taliban sources said representatives of various factions of the TTP had been holding meetings for the past few days but could not build a consensus on an extension in the ceasefire.

The Taliban had announced a one-month-long ceasefire in fighting against the government on March 1.According to sources, the Taliban factions were divided over an extension in the ceasefire as some of them pointed out that they weren’t happy with the steps the government had taken to-date.

The TTP spokesman, Shahidullah Shahid, said the process of consultation over an extension in the ceasefire was still going on but till now they could not build a consensus. He said the majority of members of the TTP had reservations over the failure of the government to fulfil its commitment made during the recent rounds of peace talks.

Shahidullah Shahid said they had given a list of 800 civilian prisoners to the government as a test case as they wanted to see how serious and sincere the government was towards the peace process. But, he said, not a single prisoner had been freed so far.

“We were expecting the government would free our civilian prisoners from jails. Instead, it violated the ceasefire and arrested 107 of our people during raids in different villages near Doaba in Hangu district. Besides, three of our men were killed and their bodies dumped in Swat, Karak and Kohat. The bullet-riddled bodies of two of our men were recovered from to Swat while the body of one found in Kohat was from Orakzai Agency,” the TTP spokesman claimed.

Shahidullah Shahid argued that even if the ceasefire was not extended and if the government was serious, they could continue the peace process.Another senior member of the TTP noted that the government had benefited from the ceasefire and sent its security forces to new positions in the tribal areas, which, according to him, would have been difficult for it during normal days.

Pleading anonymity, he said the militant factions from Swat, Dir, Bajaur, Mohmand, Peshawar, etc, weren’t in favour of an extension in the ceasefire.Also, he disputed a statement of the government negotiations committee member Rustam Shah Mohmand that the Taliban had wished but not demanded the release of their prisoners during the peace talks.

“Rustam Shah sahib is a strange person. Wish is something different than demand. We have many wishes in our heart but it would require effort and hard struggle to fulfil any wish. We also wish to capture Islamabad and implement the Sharia there but would Rustam Shah sahib be able to help us,” the Taliban commander said.

Meanwhile, Omar Khalid Khurasani said they wouldn’t extend the ceasefire and would soon begin attacks in the country.

He said the government failed to accept their demands during the peace talks. “There would be more attacks in which common people would suffer as the government isn’t sincere in the peace talks,” he said.Meanwhile, TTP political Shura member Azam Tariq said the TTP spokesman’s statement about ceasefire was not valid as it was not approved by the Shura and media committee.