Showing posts with label cross-border. Show all posts
Showing posts with label cross-border. Show all posts

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Captain among three soldiers killed in cross-border attack


KHAR: Three security personnel, including an army captain, were killed in an attack by Afghanistan-based Pakistani Taliban militants in Mamond tehsil in Bajaur Agency, official and tribal sources said on Saturday.

Sources said heavily armed militants operating from the Kunar province of Afghanistan stormed the checkpost of the security forces in Ghakhi Pass near the Pak-Afghan border.

Three soldiers were killed while two persons, including a civilian, suffered injuries in the attack.

The injured were taken to the Agency Headquarters Hospital in Khar, the administrative headquarters of Bajaur Agency, from where they were referred to a military hospital in Peshawar due to their critical condition.

The political administration and the security forces arrested 60 suspects during a search operation in the area after the attack. Such arrests are mostly made under the collective responsibility clause of the Frontier Crimes Regulations (FCR) against the tribesmen living in the area where the attack has taken place.

The security forces also defused two remote controlled bombs during the search.

The militants affiliated with the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) operating from Kunar often attack border areas in Bajaur. However, it was the first major attack after the Pakistani forces launched a major operation against the militants in North Waziristan on June 15.

The TTP Bajaur Agency chapter claimed responsibility for the night-time attack. It spokesperson, who uses the same name, Shahidullah Shahid, as the central spokesman of the TTP, made a phone call to reporters in Khar and Peshawar using the SIM of Afghanistan’s mobile phone service, to claim responsibility for the attack. He said their men operating in the border area blew up the vehicle of the security forces supplying troops in Gakhi Pass and killed all seven soldiers on board. He claimed the Taliban fighters also seized weapons and other equipment and brought these to their bases.

Meanwhile, Yousaf Raza Mujahid, claiming to be the head of the obscure Taliban al-Qaeda group in Bajaur and Mohmand agencies, appealed to the Pakistani government and the “mujahideen” to announce a ceasefire keeping in view the prevailing security situation in the country.

In a phone call from an undisclosed location to reporters, he said the enemies of the country were benefiting from the rift between the Taliban and the government.

He urged the leaders of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) to play their role in steering the country out of the prevailing crises and strengthening democracy.

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Sardar Mehtab Ahmad Khan strongly condemned the terrorist attack. The governor expressed deep shock and sorrow over the loss of precious lives of security personnel.

The governor said that the immortal sacrifices of the officers and jawans of the security forces, FC and Pakistan Army for the security of the country will never go in vain and will always be remembered with great pride.

NNI adds from Islamabad: Pakistan lodged a formal protest with Afghanistan over the cross-border attack.

“Pakistan strongly condemns the terrorist attack on a Bajaur Scouts vehicle at Gakhi Pass in Bajaur Agency launched from across the border in Afghanistan. An officer and two soldiers embraced Shahadat in the attack, while two soldiers were critically injured,” the Foreign Office said.

It said a strong protest had been lodged with the Afghan side in Islamabad and Kabul. “It has been reiterated that Afghanistan should eliminate terrorist sanctuaries and not allow its territory to be used against Pakistan,” said the FO statement.

It said at a time when a “monumental effort” was underway through a major offensive to eliminate all terrorists and their hideouts in North Waziristan tribal region, Afghanistan’s cooperation remained essential for the success of Pakistan’s counter-terrorism endeavours.

INP adds: Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif condemned the cross-border terrorist attack on a Pakistani checkpost in Bajaur Agency in which three soldiers, including a captain, embraced martyrdom.

In a statement, the prime minister said the security forces were fighting the war against terrorism to protect the future of the country and laying down their lives for the purpose.

The prime minister said the nation will always remember the sacrifices of the armed forces for the country. He said such attacks could not deter the resolve of the government to eliminate terrorism.

Information Minister Pervaiz Rashid, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan and Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif also condemned the attack on security forces in Bajaur.

They prayed that Almighty Allah rest the departed souls in eternal peace and grant courage to the bereaved families to bear the loss with equanimity.

Sunday, 1 June 2014

Forces foil cross-border attack in Bajaur



 













KHAR: At least 16 militants and a soldier were killed in a clash at Nawa Top in the Wara Mamond tehsil in Bajaur Agency after Afghanistan-based insurgents attacked a security checkpost on Saturday, official sources said.
Sources said the clash took place early in the morning near the Pak-Afghan border some 25 kilometres northwest of Khar, the administrative headquarters of Bajaur Agency, when the militants based in Afghanistan’s eastern Kunar province attacked a checkpost of the security forces at around 5:00am.

A soldier was killed and two others sustained injuries in the attack, the sources added.

“The security forces manning the checkpost returned the fire and killed 16 militants in retaliation,” said an official.

Local people said the exchange of fire between the two sides lasted an hour. They said the security forces were backed by gunship helicopters that flew in the area till 10:00am.

Meanwhile, the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility for the attack and its spokesman Shahidullah Shahid in a phone call from an undisclosed location insisted that 10 Pakistani soldiers were killed and 10-12 were wounded in the assault. He conceded that one Taliban fighter was killed and three injured in the attack.

However, the claims made by the two sides couldn’t be confirmed from independent sources.

It was learnt that the forces tightened security in the areas bordering Kunar in a bid to prevent the militants from staging cross-border attacks.

It may be recalled that five suspected militants were killed in a clash with the security forces in the Manro Jangal area in Bajaur Agency near the Pak-Afghan border last Sunday. Militants operating in the border areas are believed to be planning more attacks now that the weather is warm.

APP adds from Islamabad: Pakistan lodged a strong protest with the Afghan authorities against the attack from the Afghan side and the matter was also taken up by Pakistan’s ambassador in Kabul with the Afghan foreign ministry. The Foreign Office spokesperson in a statement said any allegations about shelling on Afghan civilians inside Afghanistan were incorrect and Pakistan aviation only fired on attacking terrorists.

The spokesperson said Pakistan’s concerns about miscreants and terrorists attacking from the other side of the border have been repeatedly shared with the Afghan authorities. “We hope effective steps will be taken to prevent a recurrence of such incidents. For its part, Pakistan will continue to exercise restraint and make efforts to maintain a conducive environment for constructive engagement,” said the spokesperson.

“We remain committed to maintaining a tranquil border, especially in the run up to second round of Afghan elections,” the spokesperson added.

Reuters adds: Afghan officials said an airstrike by Pakistani forces along the Afghan border killed four civilians on Saturday.

“A Pakistani army helicopter strike in Dangam district killed four civilians and wounded ten others,” said Abdul Habib Sayed Khel, police chief of Afghanistan’s Kunar province, adding that 124 rockets had landed in the province on Saturday alone.