Showing posts with label captain. Show all posts
Showing posts with label captain. Show all posts

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Captain among three soldiers killed in cross-border attack


KHAR: Three security personnel, including an army captain, were killed in an attack by Afghanistan-based Pakistani Taliban militants in Mamond tehsil in Bajaur Agency, official and tribal sources said on Saturday.

Sources said heavily armed militants operating from the Kunar province of Afghanistan stormed the checkpost of the security forces in Ghakhi Pass near the Pak-Afghan border.

Three soldiers were killed while two persons, including a civilian, suffered injuries in the attack.

The injured were taken to the Agency Headquarters Hospital in Khar, the administrative headquarters of Bajaur Agency, from where they were referred to a military hospital in Peshawar due to their critical condition.

The political administration and the security forces arrested 60 suspects during a search operation in the area after the attack. Such arrests are mostly made under the collective responsibility clause of the Frontier Crimes Regulations (FCR) against the tribesmen living in the area where the attack has taken place.

The security forces also defused two remote controlled bombs during the search.

The militants affiliated with the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) operating from Kunar often attack border areas in Bajaur. However, it was the first major attack after the Pakistani forces launched a major operation against the militants in North Waziristan on June 15.

The TTP Bajaur Agency chapter claimed responsibility for the night-time attack. It spokesperson, who uses the same name, Shahidullah Shahid, as the central spokesman of the TTP, made a phone call to reporters in Khar and Peshawar using the SIM of Afghanistan’s mobile phone service, to claim responsibility for the attack. He said their men operating in the border area blew up the vehicle of the security forces supplying troops in Gakhi Pass and killed all seven soldiers on board. He claimed the Taliban fighters also seized weapons and other equipment and brought these to their bases.

Meanwhile, Yousaf Raza Mujahid, claiming to be the head of the obscure Taliban al-Qaeda group in Bajaur and Mohmand agencies, appealed to the Pakistani government and the “mujahideen” to announce a ceasefire keeping in view the prevailing security situation in the country.

In a phone call from an undisclosed location to reporters, he said the enemies of the country were benefiting from the rift between the Taliban and the government.

He urged the leaders of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) to play their role in steering the country out of the prevailing crises and strengthening democracy.

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Sardar Mehtab Ahmad Khan strongly condemned the terrorist attack. The governor expressed deep shock and sorrow over the loss of precious lives of security personnel.

The governor said that the immortal sacrifices of the officers and jawans of the security forces, FC and Pakistan Army for the security of the country will never go in vain and will always be remembered with great pride.

NNI adds from Islamabad: Pakistan lodged a formal protest with Afghanistan over the cross-border attack.

“Pakistan strongly condemns the terrorist attack on a Bajaur Scouts vehicle at Gakhi Pass in Bajaur Agency launched from across the border in Afghanistan. An officer and two soldiers embraced Shahadat in the attack, while two soldiers were critically injured,” the Foreign Office said.

It said a strong protest had been lodged with the Afghan side in Islamabad and Kabul. “It has been reiterated that Afghanistan should eliminate terrorist sanctuaries and not allow its territory to be used against Pakistan,” said the FO statement.

It said at a time when a “monumental effort” was underway through a major offensive to eliminate all terrorists and their hideouts in North Waziristan tribal region, Afghanistan’s cooperation remained essential for the success of Pakistan’s counter-terrorism endeavours.

INP adds: Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif condemned the cross-border terrorist attack on a Pakistani checkpost in Bajaur Agency in which three soldiers, including a captain, embraced martyrdom.

In a statement, the prime minister said the security forces were fighting the war against terrorism to protect the future of the country and laying down their lives for the purpose.

The prime minister said the nation will always remember the sacrifices of the armed forces for the country. He said such attacks could not deter the resolve of the government to eliminate terrorism.

Information Minister Pervaiz Rashid, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan and Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif also condemned the attack on security forces in Bajaur.

They prayed that Almighty Allah rest the departed souls in eternal peace and grant courage to the bereaved families to bear the loss with equanimity.

Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Amla new South African Test captain




JOHANNESBURG: South African star batsman Hashim Amla was named the country´s Test cricket captain on Tuesday, replacing retiring Graeme Smith who led the side for a decade.

A "glad and humbled" Amla said he would give all his heart to the role, as the Proteas try to rebuild after the departure of opener Smith and legendary all-rounder Jacques Kallis. "Throughout the years I have concentrated mainly on my batting, trying to become the best batsman possible and hopefully I can still get there," Amla said. "But now I do feel it is time to act, to contribute in a team environment."

Amla, 31, who made his test debut against India in Kolkata 10 years ago, praised the work done by his predecessor, whose legacy looms large. "I have to pay tribute to Graeme and his leadership over the 10 years that I have been involved, there was certainly a lot of value that he added."

Smith had captained South Africa in a world-record 109 Tests before announcing his retirement during the third and final Test against Australia last March.

Selectors said his replacement had been seen as a choice between three world class batsmen -- Amla, AB de Villiers and Faf du Plessis. "There were some strong contenders," said selector Andrew Hudson.

But it was Amla, a devout Muslim who has often shied away from the public eye, who won out. While praising Smith, Amla said he would be his own man."One thing I have learnt in international sport is that you don´t try to copy anybody, generally you find that the guys who try to copy are not as successful," he said. "The way I try to approach my game is to try to be as natural as possible, to find what intrinsically works for me."

He said this focus would be on putting together a "winning combination" that can return South Africa to the top of the Test rankings.

Amla captained the South African team at the Under-19 World Cup in New Zealand in 2002 and was appointed captain of the Dolphins franchise early in his first-class career.

He resigned as captain after one season to concentrate on his batting. Amla was appointed De Villiers´ vice-captain of the South African ODI team in 2011 and led the side in three matches, but gave up the job last year.

Amla was reappointed to that position on Tuesday and his first assignment will be to lead South Africa in two Tests in Sri Lanka during July."A two Test series in Sri Lanka, make no mistake about it, is quite a challenging series," said Amla. "Not many teams go to Sri Lanka and dominate, they are a very resourceful team and play really well in their conditions."

The 14-man Test squad for that tour was also announced.

Alviro Petersen, Dean Elgar, Hashim Amla (captain), Faf du Plessis, AB de Villiers (wicketkeeper), JP Duminy, Stiaan van Zyl, Vernon Philander, Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Kyle Abbott, Quinton de Kock, Dane Piedt.

A one-day international squad was also announced.

Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock (wicketkeeper), Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers (captain), JP Duminy, David Miller, Wayne Parnell, Ryan McLaren, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Imran Tahir, Vernon Philander, Faf du Plessis, Aaron Phangiso, Beuran Hendricks.(AFP)

Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Jedinak named Australia´s World Cup captain




SYDNEY: Crystal Palace midfielder Mile Jedinak was Wednesday named captain of Australia´s World Cup squad following the axing of Lucas Neill.He will be backed by vice-captains Tim Cahill and Mark Bresciano.

"It is a privileged position and an accolade he richly deserves after the incredible job he has done at Crystal Palace in the toughest club competition in world football -- the English Premier League," coach Ange Postecoglou said.

"Mile Jedinak embodies everything that is great about Australian football and Australia as a nation.

"He has risen to the top of world football and done it the hard way from humble beginnings where he has battled and believed in himself to overcome the odds with an enormous work ethic and passion for what he does.

"I have no doubt he will lead the team with distinction in Brazil and we will have two of our greatest-ever football players in Tim Cahill and Mark Bresciano giving the team what I believe is strong leadership."

His promotion comes after Neill, who played for Australia 96 times and captained the side on 60 occasions, was dumped from the squad with Postecoglou saying the 36-year-old did not have the form or fitness to justify going to Brazil.

Australia are taking an inexperienced group to the tournament following the recent international retirements of goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, forward Harry Kewell and midfielders Brett Emerton and Brett Holman.

Their provisional 30-man squad features 10 locally based players, two uncapped, 19 with 10 caps or fewer and with an average age of just 25.5 as Australia face world champions Spain, runners-up Holland and Chile in Group B.

Jedinak, who is struggling with a groin strain he picked up in Crystal Palace´s final game of the season, said he was honoured to be made captain.

"To be handed the responsibility of captaining my country at the World Cup is humbling, yet incredibly exciting," he said. "Just pulling the Socceroo shirt on fills me with pride but to be leading out my country and these players at the World Cup on behalf of all Australians is special."

He follows Peter Wilson (1974), Mark Viduka (2006) and Neill (2010) as Australians who have captained the Socceroos at the world´s biggest football tournament. (AFP)

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Ahmed Shehzad tipped to become Pakistan T20 captain



KARACHI: Dashing young opening batsman Ahmed Shehzad is likely to be named as Pakistan’s next Twenty20 captain, according to sources close the cricket board.

Following Pakistan’s failure to reach the knockout stage of the ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh earlier this month, which ultimately led to Mohammad Hafeez resigning as the national team skipper, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has already started deliberating as to who would be the next captain.

According to sources, PCB chairman Najam Sethi is heavily backing the credentials of Ahmed, who has never led Pakistan in any format at the international level but is set to become one of the youngest cricketers at the age of 22 to be handed the reins of captaincy of the national side.

Moin Khan, the chief selector-cum-Pakistan team manager, has reportedly given his consent in favour of Ahmed with the formal announcement from the cricket board expected to be made in a day or two.

Hafeez, who also captained Pakistan at the World Twenty20 in 2012 when Sri Lanka hosted the event, shouldered responsibility for his country’s first-ever preliminary-round exit while announcing his resignation after a meeting with the PCB chief in Lahore a day after his arrival from Dhaka.

Veteran all-rounder and former captain Shahid Afridi was mentioned in some quarters as Hafeez’s successor as the next Pakistan T20 skipper, but his hard-hitting utterances at team’s lacklustre performance in Bangladesh upon his arrival in Karachi landed the 34-year-old in trouble when the PCB issued him a show-cause notice for the same.

With Misbah-ul-Haq’s position as the Pakistan captain - both in Test and One-day International formats - quite safe at the moment, the PCB is now mulling naming Ahmed as the T20 skipper.

However, the elevation of Ahmed — who made his Test debut during Pakistan’s last series against Sri Lanka in the UAE in December/January after having made his international debut in April 2009 — could be a risky proposition since he is prone to losing his cool.

Ahmed, who sadly has held a history of disciplinary issues since his international debut at the youth level, was fined 50 per cent of his match fee after his altercation with veteran Sri Lankan opener Tillakaratne Dilshan during the third game of the ODI series in Abu Dhabi last December.

Ahmed Shehzad tipped to become Pakistan T20 captain



KARACHI: Dashing young opening batsman Ahmed Shehzad is likely to be named as Pakistan’s next Twenty20 captain, according to sources close the cricket board.

Following Pakistan’s failure to reach the knockout stage of the ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh earlier this month, which ultimately led to Mohammad Hafeez resigning as the national team skipper, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has already started deliberating as to who would be the next captain.

According to sources, PCB chairman Najam Sethi is heavily backing the credentials of Ahmed, who has never led Pakistan in any format at the international level but is set to become one of the youngest cricketers at the age of 22 to be handed the reins of captaincy of the national side.

Moin Khan, the chief selector-cum-Pakistan team manager, has reportedly given his consent in favour of Ahmed with the formal announcement from the cricket board expected to be made in a day or two.

Hafeez, who also captained Pakistan at the World Twenty20 in 2012 when Sri Lanka hosted the event, shouldered responsibility for his country’s first-ever preliminary-round exit while announcing his resignation after a meeting with the PCB chief in Lahore a day after his arrival from Dhaka.

Veteran all-rounder and former captain Shahid Afridi was mentioned in some quarters as Hafeez’s successor as the next Pakistan T20 skipper, but his hard-hitting utterances at team’s lacklustre performance in Bangladesh upon his arrival in Karachi landed the 34-year-old in trouble when the PCB issued him a show-cause notice for the same.

With Misbah-ul-Haq’s position as the Pakistan captain - both in Test and One-day International formats - quite safe at the moment, the PCB is now mulling naming Ahmed as the T20 skipper.

However, the elevation of Ahmed — who made his Test debut during Pakistan’s last series against Sri Lanka in the UAE in December/January after having made his international debut in April 2009 — could be a risky proposition since he is prone to losing his cool.

Ahmed, who sadly has held a history of disciplinary issues since his international debut at the youth level, was fined 50 per cent of his match fee after his altercation with veteran Sri Lankan opener Tillakaratne Dilshan during the third game of the ODI series in Abu Dhabi last December.