Showing posts with label alert. Show all posts
Showing posts with label alert. Show all posts

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Nisar orders high security alert in twin cities


ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan on Saturday directed the police and district administration of Rawalpindi and Islamabad to keep the twin cities’ security on high alert, as the situation was sensitive in the wake of the ongoing military operation in North Waziristan.

He said this while chairing a meeting of the district and police administration of the twin cities here.

The minister said the security agencies need to work beyond their call of duty and show utmost responsibility to counter any unfortunate incident.

Reviewing the overall security plan of the twin cities, the minister said there should be flawless coordination between the security apparatus for effectively tackling emergency situations.

He also directed the police to further enhance their capacity through physical training and modern equipment.

The minister directed tightened security of sensitive places. He said surprise search operations, especially in adjoining areas of Islamabad Airport, be made more intensive.

He said joint patrolling teams of the Rangers and police had given a sense of security to the residents but their services need to be made more target-oriented and effective.

Sunday, 25 May 2014

PTI Tsunami alert in Faisalabad today



FAISALABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) protest rally to highlight the massive rigging of May elections being held on Sunday here, Geo News reported.

Sources said the arrangements for holding PTI public meeting at Dhobi Ghat here are give a final touch. The existing 15 feet high stage in Dhobi Ghat will be used for addressing the meeting, while a separate rostrum has been built for PTI members of the assembly and ticket holders.

PTI organizers at Dhobi Ghat said that 20,000 chairs have been placed in the pindal, however, security agencies sources estimated the number of chairs around 7/8 thousands only. Large banners have been displayed around the ground and adjacent roads and streets, while big screen has been installed in the ground. Some 3000 policemen will be deployed for security arrangements, according to security plan.

PTI leaders claimed that today’s public rally would be the largest in the Faisalabad history.

District administration has given permission to PTI for holding this rally on the condition that the workers would not carry weapons with them and fireworks prohibited.

Friday, 25 April 2014

Drunk passenger on Virgin plane sparks Bali hijack alert




DENPASAR: A drunk passenger sparked a hijack alert on a Virgin Australia flight heading for the Indonesian resort island of Bali Friday when he attempted to break into the cockpit, officials said.

Security forces rushed to the airport when the Boeing 737-800 touched down on the popular island, after the pilot reported the Brisbane to Bali flight had been hijacked, Indonesian authorities said.

However, Virgin Australia said the drunken passenger had sparked a false alarm when he banged on the cockpit door. Indonesian police later arrested Matt Christopher Lockley, an Australian national.

"This is no hijacking, this is a miscommunication," said Heru Sudjatmiko, a Virgin Australia official in Bali. "What happened was there was a drunk person... too much alcohol consumption caused him to act aggressively."

"Based on the report I received, the passenger tried to enter the cockpit, through the cockpit door, by banging on the door."

He said the man was stopped by crew, handcuffed and placed in a seat at the back of the plane, which was carrying 137 passengers and seven crew.

After landing the passenger, who was unarmed, was taken off the aircraft and detained. Officials said he did not try to resist arrest.

Transport ministry official Herry Bakti said the alert was triggered when the pilot sent a signal to Bali airport that the plane had been hijacked, and then followed up with a verbal confirmation.

"We then guided the flight to land as they were flying close to the airport," he said.

A Virgin Australia spokeswoman told the pilot had entered the code for "unlawful interference", which was "standard operating procedure, based on the threat they perceived at the time".

No passengers were hurt during the incident, officials said.

Palani Mohan, a passenger on a Garuda flight that was preparing to take off from Bali, said that when the drama began the pilot of his plane announced the airport was in lockdown.

"The captain of my plane made an announcement saying we were delayed indefinitely because a hijack was going on in Bali airport, about 150 metres (yards) away from us."

"I saw at least five vehicles including military-style trucks, filled with men in uniform, rushing towards the plane," he said. "Then the Virgin plane taxied away, followed by the convoy of security forces."

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Pakistan court seeks explanation over Pervez Musharraf security alert

Former Pakistani military dictator Pervez Mushraff. (Reuters)
Former Pakistani military dictator Pervez Mushraff. (Reuters)

The special court conducting the high treason trial against Pervez Musharraf on Tuesday summoned top intelligence officials for an in-camera session to explain the recent security alert warning of a possible attack on the former Pakistani military dictator.
A three-member bench, headed by Justice Faisal Arab, is hearing the case relating to treason charges against the former president for imposition of emergency rule in 2007. During the hearing, Justice Arab said the court wanted to be apprised of the nature and seriousness of the threat against Musharraf.
“He (Justice Arab) took the intel alert warning attacks against Musharraf seriously. He wanted to be briefed about the issue and has asked for the head of intelligence agency responsible for the alert to come tomorrow,” a court source said.
Asked who is likely to appear before the court, he said, “Most likely the Interior Secretary would be accompanied by senior officials of the intelligence agency”. The hearing of the case was adjourned until Thursday.
Meanwhile, lawyer Rana Ijaz of the defence team representing Musharraf, 70, reached the court for the hearing but the security personnel prevented him from entering the court premises on Wednesday.
Ijaz was barred from entering the court on a written order of Registrar Abdul Ghani Soomro in wake of his verbal attack on Justice Arab during the treason trial yesterday.
Justice Arab had asked security personnel to remove Ijaz from the courtroom after the lawyer said that he had received “life threats” and presumed that Justice Arab was behind them.
Talking to the media outside the court, Ijaz said that he had been told to apologise for his attitude and on his refusal to do so his entry into the court has been banned. He said he was Musharraf’s lawyer and he was being prevented from defending his client. Musharraf is slated to appear before the special court on Friday and would be indicted.
The former army chief did not appear in court on Tuesday following a security alert issued by the interior ministry saying that he might be targeted by al-Qaeda or the Pakistani Taliban.
The ministry told the court that the alert was a copy of information received from intelligence officials.
This is the first time in Pakistan’s history that a former military chief is on trial for treason.