Monday 23 June 2014

Dr Qadri says he is ready for martyrdom, govt has panicked



 












LONDON: PAT leader Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri said on Sunday that the government was terrified of his arrival in Pakistan and had begun a massive crackdown on his followers across Punjab.
But he stressed that he was going to Pakistan to strengthen ‘genuine democracy’ that he claimed does not exist in Pakistan today.Before his departure for Pakistan via Dubai on Sunday afternoon, Dr Qadri said “thousands” of his workers had been arrested illegally by the police.

“Tens of thousands had planned to reach Islamabad Airport to greet me and to welcome my agenda of revolution for a better Pakistan but the government has panicked. It has used state machinery to usurp the rights of my supporters. All they wanted was to express theirdemocratic right of free expression. They have been punished for that.”Speaking to The News at the Heathrow airport, Dr Qadri said he was ready for martyrdom, if needed.

“I am going to Pakistan for Pakistan’s betterment, to help the Pakistani armed forces in their fight against terrorism; I want to bring about a positive change through non-violent means. Millions of people across Pakistan want to see a change in their lives and the way they are being governed. I am not power-hungry; I don’t need ministries or money. My agenda is simple. But the government is acting like a dictatorship and has acted in a brutal manner. Our activity centres have been shut down and our leading activists have either been kidnapped or arrested and beaten. This is a violation of our rights.”

Dr Qadri appealed to the army to take notice of the situation and intervene. “I call on the Pakistan Army to see what’s happening to our workers when they have committed no crime. I have no hope of justice from these rulers. They are insecure because their mandate is fake and they are relying on state power to crush our democratic movement for a peaceful revolution.”

When asked if he had passed his concerns directly to anyone in the military establishment and whether it was the right thing to do to attempt to get the army involved in political tussles, Dr Qadri told The News that he had not had any direct contact with the military.

“I am passing my concerns to the military through the media. I have not made any direct contact and I believe in saying things publicly without doing deals at night. I have nothing to hide; my agenda is for all to see.”

Dr Qadri said he had serious threats to his life. “I don’t care about my personal safety, life and death. If they want to hurt me, they should hurt me in any way they want. But don’t attack and torture my followers and activists who have been peaceful all along.

“After the killings of our innocent workers in Model Town, we could have easily taken the law into our own hands but we believe in the peaceful teachings of Islam. We are being punished for being pro-peace. This is unacceptable and should not be allowed. What is happening is a violation of Pakistani laws. We want intervention of the Pakistan Army in this matter.”

Dr Qadri left his east London home at 10 am for Heathrow airport.Around 300 supporters of Dr Qadri had arrived at the airport to say farewell to him. They chanted slogans upon his arrival and offered prayers for him.

Dr Qadri showed to The News a copy of his Pakistani passport and national ID card (NICOP) which he was using to travel to Pakistan via Dubai.“I am by birth a Pakistani and have every right to get involved in Pakistani politics in any way I want. These rulers cannot stop me and cannot tell me what to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment